Thursday, July 4, 2013

America: The World's Flavortown

It was really hard for me to write this one. I think because...
1) America is more than just a cool place to live. It's woven into every part of our lives and it's kind of who we are. How in the world do you write about something like that?
2) I tried to make a Top 10 American Things list and this Guy kept being 1-10



So here are Kelli's American ramblings. I've laid them all out in hopes that everyone can connect in one way or another. If not, you come up with some too! It's fun. :)

America is watching Schoolhouse Rock in 6th grade. It's family road trips and getting chocolate all over your face. It's seeing the Big Dipper shine over the Grand Canyon and decorating your dorm room on your first day of college.

America is when Michael Jackson sang at the end of Free Willy, when Whitney Houston had the most gorgeous smile of all time, when Space Jam was the cinematic adventure of the century.

America is wiggling your toes in the sand, pie-eating contests, and jello that looks like the American flag. It's I Love Lucy, pretending to be a spy with your Walkie Talkie, and the smooth and fabulous Nat King Cole. It's the smell of a baseball field, sunflower seeds, and eating ice cream with a spork.

America is going to Walmart in your pajamas, watching Duck Dynasty and wishing you had a beard like that. It's Broadway, Betty Spaghetti, wearing toe socks, and Missy Franklin.

America is dancing to Mmmbop, eating Disney princess fruit snacks, and sunsets like this...



America is that my favorite scripture verse is in the Book of Mormon, the passion in a Southern Baptist choir, and the day I got to visit an Islamic Mosque.

America is the spirit of sacrifice and patriotism, holding a sobbing stranger in my arms when her husband died in Iraq, and when a man dressed in camo boards an airplane to a round of applause.

America is making snow angels, playing hopscotch, and Christmas traditions. It's having lots of siblings that I love, eating dinner as a family, and cheering for the first winner of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsw3TILXXBk

America is getting a picture with Mickey Mouse, belly flops, and sunburns. It's lemonade stands and playing cards. It's picking raspberries in Grandma's backyard, Grandpa's barbershop quartet, and the Andy Griffith theme song. It's the day my brother went on a mission because he wanted to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the world.

America is watching men and women sacrifice everything for people they don't even know when tragedies like 9/11, the Boston Marathon explosion, and the Oklahoma tornadoes happen. It's when I was 9 years-old and being American gave me the courage to walk past the bathroom when I thought Osama bin Laden was hiding in the shower.

See what I mean? I'm not sure how things would've been different living anywhere else. Honestly, I'm not even sure I can distinguish all of our freedoms because I've never known anything else. But I know what my life's been like living in this beautiful country and I'm so grateful for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure crumpets are delicious and I have a doll named Elizabeth, but I'm not a fan of bowing and the star has always been my favorite shape.
Happy Fourth. :)

Love,
Kelli 

No comments:

Post a Comment